Earthquakes are a part of life on the West Coast, but they're rarely captured during a live newscast. On Monday, August 17th, 5 local stations in the San Francisco DMA were on-air when a 4.0 temblor struck at 6:49a. It didn't cause any damage, but certainly prompted some interesting reactions.
We've assembled clips from each station: CLICK HERE TO WATCH
These kinds of events can be a producer's dream, or nightmare. How would you react? Our advice:
- Don't go off the air or take a commercial break!
- Quickly transition into Breaking News mode/showcasing
- Utilize your weather maps as needed
- Use various tower cams
- On-air and in digital posts, immediately ask for viewer reaction and UGC
- Send a push alert with a direct, recruit-to-view request
If you live in earthquake country or not, it's worth reviewing your plan when big news strikes while you're on the air. Let your SmithGeiger consultant know how we can help.
Currently rated by 0 people